Sunday, January 08, 2006

Future Men

One of the books that I am reading right now is Future Men by Douglas Wilson. (I always have several books going at a time because its just too boring to finish one before going onto the next -- I prefer keeping several areas of my brain working out at once -- sort of like circuit training for the mind. LOL.) It is just so enlightening to read these books about boys. I am reminded that I am SUCH a girl -- through and through -- and I need the encouragment and direction for raising masculine men. Not to mention that these books on boys help me better understand my husband and his ways...!

From the Introduction to Future Men:

"The faith exhibited by wise parents of boys is the faith of a farmer, or a sculptor, or anyone else engaged in the work of shaping unfolding possibilities. It is not the faith of someone waiting around for lightning to strike; it is the faith of someone who looks at the present and sees what it will become -- through grace and good works.
"Countless examples may be multiplied from any given day in the life of a small boy. Say a boy breaks a chair because he was jumping on it from the bunk bed. Unbelief sees the cost of replacing the chair. Faith sees aggressiveness and courage, both of which obviously need to be directed and disciplined. Suppose a boy gets into a fight protecting his sister. Unbelief sees the lack of wisdom that created a situation that could have been easily avoided; faith sees an immature masculinity that is starting to assume the burden of manhood.
"Unbelief squashes; faith teaches. Faith takes a boy aside, and tells him that this part of what he did was good, while that other part of what he did got in the way. 'And this is how to do it better next time.'"

Oh, Lord, the Good Farmer! Would you sow seeds of faith in my heart? Would you help Ron and I to believe and strive toward the best in our sons? It is you who causes the crops to grow, Father. I just want to be your handmaiden, ready to serve You in any way you would prefer. Use me like a tool in your garden! May the crops that are raised in our home glorify Your name in just the way you desire.
I do not want to be guilty of squashing the Good in my boys.
I DO want to be faithful to instructing these little guys in the ways of godly, masculine men.
Thank you for revealing to me so much lately about the manly soul -- keep me appreciative of Your good works as I see to understand Your ways. Your thoughts are not my thoughts, and I am so thankful that You are so high above me! Usher me into Your Truth, and please give me the grace to walk by it.

No comments: