Tuesday, December 06, 2005

What the Good Man Does is Always Right

My son Christian read a story today from our book of Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Anderson. He called out, "Hey, Mom! I found your favorite story, What the Good Man Does is Always Right, remember it? Can I read it out loud for all of us?"
What a blessing to hear him refer to it as my favorite story. When I first read it to him a few years back, I remember fighting with my flesh all the way through it. The main male character is an idiot. What woman wouldn't scold him for his impropriety? Yet, not only does Mrs. Fairy Tale not scold her husband-dear, she finds something positive to say with each unveiling of bad news.
The end of this story [spoiler warning] brings Mr. and Mrs. Fairy Tale a bag of riches, due to the Missus' good attitude. A good reminder that I, too, can bring about good things for our family by simply following the guidelines God has given me in my How To Be a Good Wife Manual.
So, honey, if you ever sell our horse for some rotten apples, I'll give you a big kiss and say, "What the good man does is always right!"

Proverbs 31:11 and 12
The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I don't know about a horse for rotten apples (unless a mustang counts), but I'll take the big kiss anyways.
Your an amazing wife, and I love you VERY much!

Danielle said...

Well, I was signing on to say "aww" about your post, but now I think I have to say "aww" about "papa's" comment. :)

You're updating like crazy now! Fun! I finally posted about Donald Miller on my blog. You can check it out it you want!

You've inspired me to get with it and post more! :)

Brittney said...

I've really enjoyed your blog... I remember the first time I read that particular story in my reading book. I always thought it was cute, and the idealistic child I was I always believed that's the kind of wife I would be. Haven't had a chance yet to try it out though ;o).

By the way, would you mind if I recommended your blog on my blog? You have a lot of neat thoughts and little stories, and I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy it ;o). Keep up the good work!

God bless!

Deborah said...

Honey,
Big Smooch! SMACK! You are a GOOD MAN, and most of time you are RIGHT :)

Sister-Dear,
I like your new blog -- now keep writing! I want to hear more about the Donald Miller book...save me the work :)

Brittleigh-
You are so sweet! Of course, you can tell anyone you'd like about my blog, just be forewarned that I have no idea what I'm doing, LOL! I think I am really going to enjoy keeping in touch with you and reading about you and your extended family via the web -- isn't the internet great??
God bless you right back, sis-in-Christ!

David Porta said...

Heart-warming sentiments. Yay!

So, does "Love, Honor, and Negotiate" fit into Hans Christian Andersen?

(A plaque with that amusing twist on the old marriage vow once hung in the newlywed's old throne-room.)

"sen" v. "son"
There was a midwestern guy named Doug Andersen at the Union Rescue Mission in Los Angeles.
It was wrt his name that I learned of the Scandinavian spelling v. the English spelling.