Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Are We Crunchy Cons?

As soon as it could be official, my political party of choice has been "Decline to State."

Actually, that's not true. At 18, I signed up to be an American Independent, until my dad informed me this was an actual political party with whose ideals I may not confer (I thought I was checking the "Independent" box to let people know I was free to be me - LOL).

Well, I just may have found a new box to check!

Hmmm.

I'm not Republican. I'm not a Democrat.

Maybe I'm a Crunchy Con.

I came across the Pilgrim Not Wanderer blog late last night in a fit of insomnia. He had an interesting post about a book coming out next year entitled:
Crunchy Cons: How Birkenstocked Burkeans, gun-loving organic gardeners, evangelical free-range farmers, hip homeschooling mamas, right-wing nature lovers, and their diverse tribe of countercultural conservatives plan to save America (or at least the Republican Party).

From Pilgrim's blog:

A Crunchy Con Manifesto

1. We are conservatives who stand outside the conservative mainstream; therefore, we can see things that matter more clearly.

2. Modern conservatism has become too focused on money, power, and the accumulation of stuff, and insufficiently concerned with the content of our individual and social character.

3. Big business deserves as much skepticism as big government.

4. Culture is more important than politics and economics.

5. A conservatism that does not practice restraint, humility, and good stewardship - especially of the natural world - is not fundamentally conservative.

6. Small, Local, Old, and Particular are almost always better than Big, Global, New, and Abstract.

7. Beauty is more important than efficiency.

8. The relentlessness of media-driven pop culture deadens our senses to authentic truth, beauty, and wisdom.

9. We share Russell Kirk's conviction that 'the institution most essential to conserve is the family.'

Pilgrim wasn't sure if the book fits him -- but it looks quite promising for us.

I can't wait to get my hands on it and find out.

Even the front cover photo of the hippie-mobile VW Van decked out with an elephant decal strikes something inside me.

The book doesn't come out until next February... I'll let ya know what I think as soon as I can read it!

2 comments:

Patrick Davis said...

Sounds interesting! If you get the book I would like a look see.
Pat

David Porta said...

Ah, Rod Dreher and his Crunchy Con thesis.
It was one of the great National Review cover articles of the past 5 years.

Find early Dreher columns here.
http://www.nationalreview.com/dreher/dreher-archive.shtml

He's a good writer.

Rumor has it that he works at The Dallas Morning News.

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/dn/opinion/columnists/rdreher/bio/