Tuesday, November 15, 2005

7 Habits of Highly Effective Women

Titus 2:3-5 tells me 7 things I can do -- should do -- so that the Word of God will not be blasphemed (profaned, made to look bad or untrue).
Where have I had my head stuck for the past 30 years that these are new concepts to me? And with the reputation of THE WORD OF GOD at stake! Yikes!
Surely I have read these verses before, only now the Lord has pulled the scales off of my eyes and I can see what an intense and interesting job description is laid out for me. The very controversial and fascinating book Created To Be His Help-Meet by Debi Pearl has provided some practical tips on acheiving these 7 habits:

1. Love My Husband (To live every day -- and every night! -- ready to minister to my husband's needs)
2. Love My Children (To consider the needs of my children before my own interests, to invest time in training them to know and do many things, to school myself in diet and medicine that I may be better equipped to keep them safe)
3. Be Sensible/Discreet (To grow in grace and knowledge, to be gracious and honest, to be wise in the building up of my house and my husband, to select the best means to accomplish a purpose)
4. Be Pure/Chaste (To dress modestly, making sure not to draw eyes of anyone that is not my husband to my body -- I wish I'd understood this one better when I was younger!)
5. Be a Keeper at Home (To make my home my main ministry -- a place where I spend a lot of my time, to take my responsibilities seriously, to know that whatever I sow I will reap -- actions have consequences, to make valuable use of my time at home, to create a clean and pleasant haven, to minister to others through hospitality)
6. Be Kind/Good (to be genuine, joyful, virtuous, valuable, competent, agreeable, pleasant, faithful, gracious, hardworking, merciful, honorable, wise, to help!, to serve others, to serve my husband first, children second, others next, and myself last)
7. Be Obedient to My Husband (Here it is in black and white -- Greek and English! Obey my husband! Not just submit in the case of coming to an impasse, but to be yielding, willing and eager to accomplish my husband's wishes. Well, my husband just said he wished I was in the other room watching T.V. with him, so I'm outta here!)

2 comments:

Woman of Faith said...

Mama to Three Soaring Arrows'
You told me the other day that I would not like this book. I am curious as to why you said that. I could conjure up all kinds of ideas but that probably could get me in trouble. Any response?
Woman of Faith

Deborah said...

Eireann!
It is me :) How are you girl? We need to swap email addresses and keep in touch!

George-
I'm over 30 now, with three kids in tow, and a few grey hairs -- I think I am fast becoming that "older woman!" Now I just need to get up to task :)

Woman of Faith-
Who are you? :)
Why would you not like the book? The book is a little bit HARSH in tone. The author is a bit of a country bumpkin who calls life as she sees it. She is a KJV only and on the legalistic side. Her message is still very good -- one that more women (perhaps more balanced than her) will hopefully jump on board with and write more encouraging books about.
You also may not like the book because it makes a point of us living for as our husbands' helpers and not for ourselves, and about us obeying our husbands. Not exactly the talk-of-the-church these days :)
Similar books I'd recommend:
Reforming Marriage by Douglas Wilson (excellent book -- written more to the men than women)
All the Way Home by Mary Pride (another super-conservative but oh-so-sensible book)
The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace
Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerich (written by a man, about what men need -- I haven't read this but have heard him speak, excellent stuff about respect, respect, respect)
I know there's more...just can't think right now...

I am new to this blog business and had no idea people had left comments for me -- how exciting! I'm a bit computer-illiterate but hubby is helping :)